How Dustywater started their web page design journey
Dusty Joy Foundation (dustyjoy.org)
The Dusty Joy website is an initiative of the Dusty Joy Foundation, a new nonprofit with a mission to improve the lives of those touched by lung cancer through targeted programs promoting education, early detection and compassion. The Foundation will help usher in much needed research for early lung cancer detection. Dusty is the founder of the organization and a lung cancer survivor and advocate. (We also are posting another web project for http://www.livelung.org with its own unique purpose and brand.)
The Dusty Joy site is a new web site promoting grassroots education and awareness about lung cancer, the #1 cancer killer of men and women. The unique feature of the Foundation is its balloons symbolizing lungs and representing new lung cancer cases and deaths.
Lung cancer is called the “invisible cancer” and its “color” is clear, similar to breast cancer’s pink campaign. The Dusty Joy Foundation will use clear balloons to symbolize lung cancer deaths. Clear balloons are a powerful, yet subdued representation of these lives lost to lung cancer. Red balloons will be a bold representation of lung cancer survivors. Red also represents the heart of the Dusty Joy Foundation, which is founded on “compassion for those touched by lung cancer.”
The site should be clean, fresh and easy to navigate.
I hope you will find some satisfaction in knowing that your work is for a very good cause.
Tell us a bit about who you are and the people you reach
Our audience will be lung cancer survivors, their loved ones, surviving family members and loved ones of those who lost their battle with lung cancer, public health educators, general public, donors, volunteers and speakers. The site also will be an educational resource for anyone seeking information about lung cancer.
- Be original and creative!
- Design 2 templates: 1 home page, 1 interior
- Use the attached rough storyboard for section categories
- Use the attached logo
- The interior template is more flexible, but should continue the primary elements.
- Top navigation items will be: Welcome, All About, Balloon Releases, Get Involved, Resources, About Lung Cancer and Dusty Joy Store. (Feel free to try different wording.)
- We’re open to adding a search box on the top navigation bar if the design fits. However, include a search box somewhere in your design that will be present on all pages.
- A drop-down menu will be used for second-tier navigation. In the design, the drop-down for All About should be: About Our Mission; About Lung Cancer: Quiz, Facts, Resources, LiveLung.org; About Balloon Releases: Why balloons? About the Environment; Contact Us/Comments. It is ok if the titles span two lines, but no more.
- The content width should be 980px wide. It is desired, but not required, for the home page to be a max height of 768px.
- The winner will be required to submit both .AI / .PSD and .EPS files, compatible with CS1, of the final design.
- The winner will also be required to be available for questioning from our developer if it is needed.