We require 8 major navigation items (tabs or buttons) labelled NEWS, PATIENT CARE, FORUM, EDUCATION, EMS LEADERSHIP, EMPLOYMENT, TECHNOLOGY & BUYER’S GUIDE, EMS MARKET; these menu items will lead to the major sections of our site.
MINOR GLOBAL NAVIGATION
We require links to SIGN IN and REGISTER. We also require a small area for a SEARCH tool.
In the footer, we’d like a list of paramedic, emt, firefighter, emergency medical services, ems, patient care, ems leadership, fire department, ems jobs, cpr; for SEO reasons (doesn’t need much emphasis). See bottom of EMS1.com for related SEO times. Do not copy in order, but gives general areas for SEO reasons. These will be links that may be edited from time to time.
Page 1 – THE HOME PAGE
We imagine our logo will be incorporated into the design nicely. We want a clean, professional design that offers the visitor a unique but pleasant visit. Something that “wow’s” them but that does not overwhelm them. We also require:
• Space for current news stories. Major stories will have a picture, with a caption, with a link to take them to the full story. The others will just have a title which is also the link to the story.
• "Product spotlight" – area for us to highlight a new or outstanding product. A new one will be updated each week or so.
• Areas for ad placement, this will be our source of income, so this is important, but we do not want the reader to be overpowered by them either, but they must be noticeable and accessible. We will begin to carry products for purchase under the EMS MARKET area, so that will need to not be lost in the design either. There should be one at or near the top that extends either the enitre length of the header, or 3/4 the length. There also needs to be four to six other ad areas, some longer, some smaller. You can look at the websites below for sizes, but we also think that those sites have the ads all over the place and it gets in the way of the reader as well. So they must be tastefully placed.
• Something on the page, near the top, that says, “join the conversation” which would link to our forums. We would like that to look handwritten and a arrow coming from the "join the conversation" pointing to the forum section.
We also need the following:
• Space for Twitter and Facebook feeds (post), but these should receive less focus than the featured items.
• A Poll area
• "Our Partners" area and a "EMS Professional Links" area
• "Featured Links" area
Page 2 – THE SUB PAGES
This page is reached after clicking on a particular story or area. It will generally contain a story, so the design must not interfere with the reader reading the story, but should still have space for several ads. Overall page needs to be organised well. The detail page has 5 elements:
(1) sub-NAVIGATION items,
(2) a WIDE COLUMN for paragraphs of text,
(3) a FEATURE BOXs for related stories links, links to other EMS organizations, and ads,
(4) a COMMENTS area, which would be at the end of the story for readers to post their views on the story.
We also require a breadcrumb menu (e.g. Home > News > Breaking News).
While this information may seem very specific, please use your discretion and make changes where you think it’s necessary for a better design.