Sitepoint Market (Open to Suggestions!)
Your chance to design the "face" of the new Sitepoint.com Marketplace.
Sitepoint.com is one of the world's leading resources for web professionals. The Sitepoint marketplace is currently a trading hub for our massive community to buy & sell web goodies, outsource projects or to find freelance work.
With preparations in place to relaunch the revitalized marketplace in the coming weeks, the winning designer will quickly benefit from the huge exposure and plaudits that come with creating our fresh new marketplace look!
The homepage needs to cut thru to our Sitepoint community who are innovative, passionate and who above all push the boundaries in web design, web development and web marketing.
In excess of 50% of the target audience are web developers and web designers, with the remaining made up of CEO's, entrepreneurs, graphic designers, web masters, educators and students.
Our community are highly engaged decision makers with over 70% working on the web for more than 5 years, and approx 80% make or influence their company's decisions.
The marketplace will act as a classifieds website which is split into 3 Main Category's with associated Sub-category's:
1. For Sale - Where users can buy or exchange web products. Or users can Post an Ad of products to sell or exchange.
2. Freelance Jobs - Where Freelancers can browse web projects and submit quotes. Or users can Post an Ad of projects they would like to outsource.
3. Service Providers - Users can browse a directory of web service providers to request quotes for their projects. OR Web Service providers can Post an Ad of their service to the directory.
Our basic guidelines are:
1. Attached is our mock homepage design for you to overhaul the "top half" as outlined. The "bottom half" should remain, but you are free to update colors to match your design.
2. We want the functionality in the mock design to remain, your biggest task is the ability to convey to users quickly and simply:
- How the website is of value to the user (for both buyer & seller), moreover a "call to action" so the user is engaged in what each major category can provide them i.e more work, earn more, get work completed etc.
- Cleanly display what the Major Category's are and links to the sub category's (see mock). Feel free to change the Major Category wording to assist your design.
3. 1000px centered website, require .psd file.
Please include the following base requirements:
1. Web Banner Ad space (arrange to suit your design)
- 728 x 90 Leaderboard
- 300 x 250 Medium Rectangle
- 90px vertical space between bottom of classifieds and footer.
2. Sign Up, Login, Help header as shown in mockup
3. Search Box - open worded search box.
4. Prominent "Post an Ad" button and wording
5. We don't have a logo or brand, so feel free to add your own, a default logo or leave blank.
6. Clickable Links to Major and Sub-Category's.
7. Feel Free to Change Major Category Wording to suit your design and make it easier for users to identify what they mean / contain.
8. Feel free for the design not to be too strict to a standard look and feel. For example the Post an AD button area could be highlighted by being different in design and look.
9. Arrange all the above to suit your design.
10. If there's additional functionality which you "need" to complete your design outside of the above, please ask the question.
Essentially a workable site, but needs a face-lift and the ability for users to better identify:
- What the site contains and
- What value is this marketplace to them as a buyer or seller
Flippa.com - simplicity and the ability for users (buyers or sellers) to quickly identify what this site can do for them.
Tradingpost.com.au - friendly feel to the design and call to action for buyers and sellers. Probably over does the imagery which makes it over cluttered.
Realestate.com.au - Good use of mulitple vertical and horizontal columns to place links, news and ad space. Although over cluttered.
The new marketplace doesn't have to be "over designed" - needs to effectively convey value to the 2 types of users (buyers & sellers) and enable them to quickly identify what the website is about and which Major Category and or Sub Category can add value to them e.g:
- Buy, Sell or exchange a required product or service
- Find more work and earn more money.
- Outsource work and get more work done.
- Find services to get work done.
- Advertise your services to get more work and earn more.