ASPIRE is a pilot program created by the Toronto Financial Services Alliance (TFSA). TFSA’s mandate is to build the competitiveness of the Toronto region as an international financial centre. Ensuring we have a broad and deep talent pool to meet our employers’ skills needs is an important objective. To achieve this, TFSA is launching an exciting new internship program called ASPIRE that will allow university and college students (aged approx. 18 – 24 years) to gain fantastic insight and experience in the Financial Services industry. ASPIRE’s slogan is “Developing Next Gen Talent in Financial Services”
Currently only 60% of students in Canada have access to internship or 'work integrated learning' (WIL) opportunities, vital their future success and their likelihood of securing paid employment after graduation, and the Financial Services sector is struggling with a bit of an image problem. ASPIRE aims to promote the Financial Services sector in Toronto as a ‘cool’ (for want of a better word) / attractive place to work so it can compete with the Tech Start-up scene, while also providing 10,000 more young people WIL opportunities.
This initiative has been designed to increase the quantity and quality of work-integrated learning opportunities in the Financial Services sector, targeting in-demand skills, particularly in the Tech space and give students a head start.
Participating students will have access to paid summer internships, business skills training, networking events and business challenges, heavily increasing both their employability and professional network.
ASPIRE is going to be huge! We’re in the pilot year at the moment. The first cohort of students will start their WIL experiences this summer (2017) with our 8 ‘founding’ Financial Services employers, however over the next 4 years the target is to attract lots more Financial Services employers (large corporates, FinTech start-ups and SME’s) and place 10,000 students, all by the end of 2020. It’s an ambitious target and we’re really excited!
- We want ASPIRE to be known by every student in Toronto as the place to go for a great quality, highly valuable WIL experience
- We want university professors and college lectures to recommend their students sign up to the programme as they can see they value it adds to their future prospects
- We want Financial Services employers from every area (investment banking, retail banking, investment management, hedge funds, insurance, accountancy) to want to participate in ASPIRE so they can access bright, diverse talent that they couldn’t have found on their own
- Technically minded students, potentially studying computer science, business, information technology, information systems, engineering and digital-related courses
- Students passionate about /and seeking a career within Tech, but who had not yet considered the Tech focused employment opportunities in the Financial Services sector
- Employers from across the Financial Services sector