We are looking for a fresh new concept for our cake packaging that will be applied across a number of products including lamingtons, madeira cakes, fairy cakes, etc. We currently have a few different designs across the range (check attachments) and need to condense down to 1 new design. All products are packed in clear plastic film and the design printed directly onto the plastic.
We need something new and fresh that has maximum impact on shelf. These products sit in the bakery department of major supermarkets and compete against many other products. They need to grab the consumer's attention and jump off the shelf.
We'd like to see how the new concept could be applied to our 6 pack Lamingtons and Madeira cake.
MANDATORY DESIGN ELEMENTS:
- Logo must remain on the front of the pack
- Include 2 claims on the front of pack: No artificial colours or flavours and Australian owned & made
- A selection of the products will be what we are terming 'hot buys' and will cost the consumer only $2. We need a callout/button on the pack to highlight they are 'hot buys' or something to that effect.
- Please include a concept of the back of pack as well so we can see how you treat the Nutritional Panel and other relevant information (included in the attachments.)
- Stick to 'foodie' colours. Steer clear of too much blue. We aren't opposed to the use of black.
- We need to see how flavour variants would be treated across the range. For example we have a classic madeira cake, a lemon madeira cake and a chocolate madeira cake. Please show how the pack design would reflect changes in product flavour.
- Ensure some of the product is still visible to the customer (ie don't cover the film entirely in artwork).
SUGGESTIONS & CONSIDERATIONS:
- Our logo is a little outdated so please feel free to make tweaks to the logo if you feel it better supports your design. The heart must remain but the stars (which is the Southern Cross) can be removed.
- Our company was established in 1951 so we are open to some retro designs of that era.
- Photography on the packaging is not essential but can be included if you feel it supports your design.
- Consider the use of baking icons on pack such as a whisk or spoon etc.
- Consider the use of ingredient shots/icons on pack such as chocolate chunks etc.
- We'd like to give the brand more personality so are keen to see what ideas you have that would help bring the brand to life. We want consumers to connect with the brand and as a result increase their loyalty to our products. There are many great brands in the market today that speak to the consumer in fun and interesting ways through their packaging design. We're keen to see how that could be incorporated into the Susan Day brand.
Please be as creative as you like with the concept. We are very open to all suggestions. The key thing we are looking for is that the design stands out on shelf, is fresh & contemporary and lends a bit of personality to the Susan Day brand.
We have included a selection of packaging shots from the current range as well as a couple of shelf shots from the supermarket. There is a shot of the lamingtons and madeira cake without packaging which you can use to mock up the artwork. Please use the dielines provided to ensure placement of artwork is accurate but avoid any information going into the blue shaded areas. There is also 'back of pack information' which includes a sample Nutritional Panel and other information for the back of pack.