Besides the ongoing coverage, the GTA publishes a semi-annual report as well as irregular topical analyses. For these reports we seek a new, professional-yet-light layout that engages the reader.
We prefer simple over playful designs and color schemes. Note that we have a logo built around the colors of a traffic light and intend to keep it. We use the traffic light colors to signal our evaluation of a policy intervention (red= discriminatory, green= liberalising). That said, the logo need not feature prominently in the report design and we are in principle open to all color variations.
Note: We only seek templates. You do NOT have to layout an existing report in full.
1) Five to ten constructive criticisms/opinions (text in bullet points) of the existing semi-annual report on how to improve its readability. As a designer, what problems do you see? This can include length and order of the sections, use of colors, graph types, (sub-)titles, # of text columns, etc. Please use the attached semi-annual reports GTA 15-17 for this exercise.
2) A template for the report content. This includes the table of contents, headlines, page layouts including title pages (if necessary), pages that are only text, contain text plus graphs and/or tables. The page layout should help guide the reader through each section. You may use solid colors. This task does NOT include the front cover or illustrations/images used in the content.
3) A template for standard graph types. These types are bar, line & pie charts as well as box & scatter plots. Suggestions on how to illustrate our content better are very welcome.
4) A template for the report annex. Each report includes country-specific information for up to 20 countries. This information is currently a combination of tables, radar charts and world maps. How can we arrange this using less space? Please see the attached PDF "GTA Annex Contents" for the current content per country. The solution need not include our current graph types.
In sum, the package includes the following items:
- a table of contents
- a page with text only
- a page with text and a graph
- a page with text and a table
- a bar chart
- a line chart
- a pie chart
- a box plot
- a scatter plot
- a proposal for a redesigned annex (see attachment GTA Annex contents PDF)
- any further graph types or content pages that complete your design
There are a few printed copies (ca. US quarto size), but cirulation is largely electronic (PDF).
All pieces shall be delivered in standard formats (e.g. InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).