Looking for a single side of a coin to be given to star students in our grad-level course on Computer Forensic Investigations, specifically focusing on Network and Communications Analysis.
We would like for this coin to highlight that examining malicious/evil communications plays an important part of discovering the truth of an electronic attacker's actions, intent, and capabilities. The concept of "listening" (e.g. "hearing" plus "interpreting") to find these points is central to what the practice of Computer Network Forensics is all about and therefore what we teach in our class.
The coin will be 1.75" in diameter and this design is just for one side. (The other side is the same for all class coins, and has already been selected.) We're looking for a design in the general spirit of the new FOR508 (Snake image in "References", below) and FOR500 (Shadow image) class coins. The graphic will be unique from those two - they are just for examples. There are other images in the "References" section that we found interesting, but are just for background/inspiration images. The final design doesn't have to have these specific components.
To help spur ideas, the following may help:
- Network cable plug
- Lightning (as in the weather/electrical, not the Apple plug)
- Wireless networking icon
- Listening with ear/stethoscope/etc.
- Watching with binoculars/telescope/etc.
- Targeting/radar imagery
- Hunting for an attacker that's already in the network
- Router icon (the cylinder with crossing arrows in "References")
- Electronic communications
- Data transmission
- Fast but sound investigation
- Seeing signal from noise (e.g. filtering/funneling lots of data to just what's most important)
Things we don't want:
- Specific imagery already on our other coins: snake, shadow person
The Course Number, Course Title, and a Latin motto must be incorporated into the coin design.
Course Number: FOR572
Course Title: Advanced Network Forensics and Analysis
Latin Motto: Malum loquitur. Bonum auscultat. [Note that this may change slightly, but this is a good placeholder for the time being.]