The primary reason for the logo is to celebrate the 50th year anniversary of the University of Alberta Department of Computing Science.
The logo itself could be abstract but it would probably be better if it was related to a computing science topic.
** IMPORTANT **
Unfortunately, I have just been informed (as of Tuesday July 1, 2014) that there are could be legal issues around using the names of University of Alberta, U of A, Faculty of Science and Department of Computing Science in any form without also using the specific visual identities or branding. So rather than deal with any possible legal issues let's focus instead on coming up with a logo that is computing related or abstract that focuses on the celebration of the 50th Year Anniversary. Use of the slogan(s) provided such as "1964-2014: 110010 Years of Excellence" or any other suitable slogan is of course fine.
** END OF IMPORTANT **
Here are a few things that were discussed but without figuring out how to translate them into a logo:
1. The combination of applying computing to "real world" problems, theoretical computing (e.g. complexity theory) and hardware architecture
2. A cycle logo similar to the water cycle shown here: http://pmm.nasa.gov/education/water-cycle. The concept is: A need felt by someone often leads to a problem that needs to be solved which often leads to a new theoretical perspective which leads to a solution to said problem which leads to a new way of doing things and thinking about how things are done which often leads to new needs and new problems in need of solution. This could be described as the "Cycle of Innovation"
3. A graph theory image. This is a little abstract but could be made more concrete with specific words used in the nodes. Please take a look at the image at https://www.flickr.com/photos/dabca…174390800/ for an example of a graph theory image. The upper portion of this image can be seen in use as the backdrop to a Flickr group's banner at https://www.flickr.com/groups/cs50/
4. Venn diagrams showing what the Department does itself vs what it does in collaboration with other organizations.
5. A game theory theme: Chess, Checkers, Poker (Texas Hold 'em).
6. The theme of the gala for this event is "Memory Lane". That may or may not give you ideas for use in the logo.
7. We are open to all other interesting, cool ideas for logos.