Brief summary (apologies if this is too long but ... it is a long and worthwhile story!):
1) Climate change and other urgent challenges for our planet and its societies require tremendous financial means over the next decades. The (still insufficient) national pledges confirmed at the Paris climate summit (COP21) alone will cost $840bn p.a. through 2030. Overall, reaching the UN Sustainable Development Goals by 2030 will need investments of $2,400bn p.a.
2) Donations, philanthropy in general, or the public sector cannot provide these enormous amounts.
3) However, many of the required investments are profitable and would be attractive for traditional mainstream investors such as insurance companies, pension or state funds in search of alternative assets. But investable assets or even portfolios in these crucial and impactful areas are scarce.
4) This current state of affairs provides a unique and great opportunity for a “company builder” that caters to the needs of traditional investors while pursuing impact investment objectives.
5) Two entrepreneurs, supported by three internationally renowned families, are therefore establishing econnoa KGaA as the worlds’ first Industrial Impact Holding Company. It will be dedicated entirely to building companies that positively impact climate and society at scale.