I will provide 4 directions.
1. We asked our members to describe BAISL in five words. Here are the lists we were sent:
Good Idea Driven
2. Our Mission Statement:
BAISL Mission Statement:
The Bay Area Independent School Librarians (BAISL) is an association of professional school
librarians who believe that the library is a central and indispensable academic force within the
independent school. BAISL is dedicated to furthering the professional growth of its member
librarians and to improving independent school libraries in facilities, staffing, and resources.
To achieve these aims BAISL holds three meetings annually:
• to share information, conduct in-service workshops and to visit other libraries,
• to evaluate and upgrade professional services, i.e. discuss ways to teach research
strategies to students and to provide curricular support to faculty,
• to initiate networking and other cooperative projects,
• to explore the integration of the new technologies into the library program
• to share recommendations on new resources and equipment.
BAISL endorses the School Library Bill of Rights as affirmed by the American Association of School
Librarians and the Students' Right to Read statement as issued by the National Council of
Teachers of English
3. One of our past presidents describes BAISL as:
"involved school librarians (as opposed to just librarians.... I think of school librarians as unique in their concern about education, learning, students, knowledge development, etc.)
seek to provide the best resources for students and teachers (and do this with limited budgets)
collaborative with teachers, students, parents, and other school librarians
open to ideas
willing to experiment with the new
great readers who love to share books (print and otherwise) with others
willing to listen and learn from others
willing to take risks
will add print, video, audio, digital, cloud, whatever works best
sharers and linkers
find the positive (even in the difficult) and use it to create something better
Never stop growing or learning... both as individuals and as an members of an organization"
4. Finally, many members like incorporation of the image of the Golden Gate bridge. We think the bridge provides an worthy metaphor of connection pertinent to our work. This is not a requirement, but I think we would like to see some designs that incorporate a bridge design.