The Magic Lantern firmware is mainly used by independent film makers and professional videographers. As more features are added it will also be used by still photographers.
On top of the 250$ prize the winner will receive a one year 250MB CGTextures.com Membership (140$ value)!
Magic Lantern is an open platform for developing enhancements to the Canon 5D Mark II digital SLR.
The Canon 5D Mark II is an amazing camera but it has it's limitations, especially in video mode. That's where Magic Lantern comes in -- it contains extensions and widgets that fix many of the annoyances in working with the 5D Mark II on a film or video set. Magic Lantern is being developed by independent film makers in their spare time and at risk to their beloved cameras.
For in-depth information read the Magic Lantern Wiki:
Some examples of the fantastic work being created with the Canon 5D Mark II and the custom firmware:
Inspirational keywords: cinema, camera, digital, movies, improvement, enhancement, creativity.
+++ EDIT +++
The creator of the firmware would really like to see more designs with the photo of Robert Cornelius. Robert Cornelius is the first human ever to be photographed. For more information and the photo please follow this link:
+++ EDIT +++
• Crisp, simple, clean and easy to read design
• Include the name "Magic Lantern"
• A sense of class, quality and professionalism
• Logo should work on a small screen (the camera's LCD screen)
• Logo should work on both a dark and light background (in different colors)
• Possibly incorporate a stylized 'Magic Lantern' shape? (http://images.google.com/images?q=m…%20lantern
• No glows or cheesy outlines
• No Rainbow colors (unless very stylefully done)
• No "name + random geometric shape". There has to be a strong concept behind the logo.
• to avoid copyright issues the logo should NOT have any resemblance to the Canon logo/typography
The logo will be used on the Magic Lantern website, on the camera's LCD screen and in demonstration videos.