I would like a logo designed for my restaurant, ‘fish and rice’. We serve poke (poh-kay), a traditional Hawaiian dish that in its simplest format includes cubed, seasoned raw fish atop a bowl of rice.
Target audience will be college students through to middle-aged professionals looking to grab a bite on the go. We will have indoor seating but are not a fancy or upscale restaurant but more fast-casual.
Austin is a big, laid-back college city with many artists where music and drinking are important and thus attracts a lot of migrating talent. So a hip design is good.
“Fish and Rice” is a very straightforward name so my interpretation would be simple and minimalistic. I’ve seen that that tends to be sans serif fonts that are clean, often in all caps or all lowercase. I think minimalism works, but I’m open to anything if it’s done well.
I have created a Pinterest board for this contest to try and capture the design style I like as well as Austin’s vibe as a city:
Please interpret this brief as you see fit. The board is a starting point but by all means get creative. Personally lacking a background in design myself, imaginative designers may certainly blow me away with something I can’t yet conceptualize.
Here’s a non-exhaustive list of other styles I personally like (that may or may not work with this name):
- neon signs
- megablock letters
- hiphop/street/fast writing (like BAOHAUS logo)
- scribble art
- paintbrush/drip font
- water colors
- I know many sushi restaurants tend to steer their logo and restaurant style toward a Japanese theme with sharper cutting-like fonts like they were written with a samurai sword or something. Poke is a Hawaiian dish but I'm not necessarily looking for a native design (so no need for bubbly font and floral accents)
- A fish doesn’t necessarily have to be included. A dope typeface that looks cool converted into a neon-sign (see baohaus ex) is perfectly acceptable. Please don’t feel too pressured to try and include a rice plant in the logo.
- I am NOT looking for a super elegant, fancy, or upscale design (no swirly, fancy brushes?)
- Please DO NOT incorporate 'rice' into the icon via rice husks. I think it looks a little 'forced'. Rice grains are OK but the wheat-looking husks is NOT. Thank you
Interior of the restaurant for reference:
We’re planning an industrial look for the interior of the restaurant, or at least industrial colors: stained concrete floors, metal plumbing pipes for table fixtures, black wooden seating, etc. There may be a neon sign posted on the window with ‘fish and rice’ in cursive, either blue or white with a luminescent glow reflecting off the walls. We’re a fast-casual so I’d go more for a dive-bar feel than a fancy dine-in atmosphere.
That art inspiration board is again up at: