It was a pleasure working with Dusan. All requirements more than met. Will come back to him if needed.
How corina_logan started their logo design journey
Who are you known as?
Bullied Into Bad Science
Tell us a bit about who you are and the people you reach
Bullied Into Bad Science is a world-wide academic campaign led by early career researchers to improve research rigour by adopting open research practices. Our website with our mission statement and the letter that early career researchers can sign is at: http://bulliedintobadscience.org.
Our slogan is (but I don't think this needs to be in the logo): Leading individuals and institutions in adopting open practices to improve research rigour.
Our target audience is:
1) Early career researchers to have them sign on and help grow the campaign
2) Individuals and institutions who can take actions to change academic infrastructure
What industry do you think your business is most related to?
Colors would be nice. We will use these colors for our website, t-shirts, and stickers.
To give us an idea of the overall feeling of your brand, let us know which styles you lean towards
The image looks like a
creative interpretation of what the company does
I like the clean look
I like that the product
idea was incorporated into a character
It is simple and uses colors in an interesting way
I like the clean lines,
artistic touch, and elegance
I like that the symbol represents two things: the red leaf and packaging
It is simple and clean, which I like. For our campaign, the symbol will need to have more than one meaning though
I like that this logo incorporates both elements of their name into one image
I like the creativity of
incorporating a bird with the concept of the product
I think it is clever how they incorporated lots of text elegantly into this creative logo
The issue is that early career researchers feel bullied into bad science and we are trying to break free from the status quo. I don't think we want anything about a bully in the logo though because the campaign is more about what we can do to change academic culture to be better.
We want a clean, simple logo that is more creative than a fist and a test tube. We would like some or all of the following elements to be incorporated:
1) We are LEADING CHANGE.
2) We are changing academia to be more OPEN. If you can't see the research process (the traditional closed process), you can't evaluate whether the research was sound.
3) RESEARCH/RESEARCHERS (and we aren't happy). We are researchers from all fields, not just science, and we want everyone in the campaign to feel like the logo fits them. So no science specific symbols please. We used "science" in the campaign name because it was catchier, but it is more accurate to replace "science" with "research" because many non-science fields also do research.
Some ideas for design elements might be:
- Pulling the curtain away so you can see the research behind it
- Being in a dark room (closed research) and walking through an open door into the light (open research)
- Another species (representing both research and researchers) looking unhappy
- An uncapped pen where the pen represents research. The cap on represents closed research and the cap off represents open research
- An owl (representing knowledge) chained up (representing that wisdom can't fly); chain breaking
If you emphasize text in the logo, please place the focus on "Bad Science" rather than "Bullied Into".