We really want something with the "Vintage grape press" and a man working in earnest, concentrated, dedicated effort to twist the top of the press down into the basket (see Gino Miles' "Grape Crusher" - note how he's crouched low, with the one foot up against the press for leverage). But it cannot be a replica of the Gino Miles statue since we could not trademark it.
1) We want to follow the general theme of the "Pressed Spirits" logo we've submitted in the brief (except for the character - see #3 below). That means:
a) A vintage wine press
b) A character working the press
c) "PresseD" displayed with the middle characters being smaller and therefore "pressed down" by the graphic above
d) "spiriTs" arranged such that a corkscrew represents the "T"
2) A type face that is clean, with crisp lines, and gold accents. We're not terribly excited about what we have in the logo we've submitted, and would like to see your ideas. We do not like flowery, wavy, or overly ornate type faces which distract from readability. It should be strong, clean, and sophisticated.
3) We would like a character that evokes the passion exhibited in the sculpture "Grape Crusher" (mentioned in opening paragraph). We've identified that this sculpture evokes the following which we're seeking for our unique character. Please note that these observations are to point out what we feel the sculpture achieves - we need a character that achieves the same, evoking the same sentiments - without being a copy of the existing sculpture.
a) His crouched pose with foot planted against the press for leverage gives the sense of persistence, dedication, and commitment to the task at hand. So for example, could the character be leaning into the press handle, pushing it instead of pulling it? Or could it be the same concept - foot on press for leverage and pulling, but posed and arranged differently so as not to be a "different person in the exact same pose"?
b) He's adorned in casual clothes with sleeve and pant cuffs rolled up, giving a sense of authenticity - he's not wearing clunky knee-high boots, a heavy jacket, or fashionable vest. Could he be in short sleeves instead of rolled up cuffed-long sleeve? Either way, I think he should be wearing pants :)
c) He's rugged, strong, but not superman - he looks like a common man. Not filthy and worn. His presentation evokes a sense of "hard working", not "starving and battered" or "superhuman elite"
4) We want the press detailed enough to show its features, but not so ornately and intricately drawn that it's busy and taking away from the scene as a whole. We don't like the solid black-and-white image that we have of "Pressed Spirits" - you shouldn't be able to "see" between the staves of the press, as it's theoretically full of grapes - but we also don't like a perfect replication of an actual photo of a press, and certainly don't want the crowding of individual grapes inside to be illustrated. What we DO want is enough detail, shading, and shadows to give off a vintage/rugged style with a sense of 3d depth - but not so much that it's a perfect sketch/photo replica with every grain of the wood drawn out.
5) We'd like to see other elements added besides just the man, the press, and the words - we want to see your ideas for placement of bars between the words, or above and below them, or any other elements that you believe would add to the logo without sacrificing the simplicity and elegance of "less is more". We're thinking just a few tasteful accents. Remember, this is going on a label -take care that any added elements balance and enhance, not crowd and distract, especially when the logo is sized down for smaller placement on labels, merchandise and marketing materials.