I am a medical professional starting a service business that trains other medical professionals and non professionals( lay person) in CPR ( Cardio pulmonary resusitation ) approved by the American Heart Association for in hospital and out of hospital use.
Health care workers have to be certified and recertified every 2 years in CPR, and depending on what area of health care they work ,ACLS and PALS as well.
At a later date I will be teaching ACLS ( Advanced Cardiac LIfe support) and PALS ( Pediatric Advanced Life Support) to medical professionals ( nurses, EMT, physicians, respiratory therapists etc).
CPR consists of training a sequence of skills ( Chest compressions, Ventilations, AED use, etc) to properly perform CPR depending on the situation.
ACLS and PALS training includes teaching algorithms for different heart rhythms ( Ventricular fibrilation, PEA, pulseless v tach, symptomatic bradycardia, asystole, ventricular tachycardia (with and without pulses).. In addition training will include role playing for the different case scenarios. The class will end with a written test from the American Heart Association in which the student must pass in order to recieve certification.
Some of the teaching includes
1. Medications include antiarrhythmics ( amiodarone, lidocaine), initropes and vasopressors( epinephrine, dopamine, vasopressin), electrolytes Magnesium) and atropine.
2. Cardiac defiibrillation, Cardioversion.
3. Cardiac rhythm recognition
4. Causes of these rhythms
5. Small amount of anatomy and physiology ( circulation, cardiac, respiratory, etc )
6. Causes and treatment of MI ( Myocardial infarction}, Stroke, pulmonary embolism, electrolyte abnormalities, hypoxia, hypovolemia, hypoglycemia, hypo/hyperkalemia, cardiac tamponade, pneumo/hemothorax, drug overdose.
8. Some airway managment and intubation.
Possibly At a later time I would also like to perform drug tests , give flu vaccines ( for health care workers as well as other businesses, teach and EKG and Airway management class. However my main business will be CPR, ACLS, PALS.