The logo shouldn't be too complicated, and needs to be easily adaptable to print, digital media, signage and embroidery. See the attached examples of other Australia state logos to get a feel for what they do.
The design should reflect something that is easily identifiable as South Australian. Looking at other Australia state logos as an example, NSW uses the Waratah, a flower prolific in that state, while the Tasmanian logo focuses on the Tasmanian Tiger, an animal native to Tasmania.
The logo needs to contain the words "South Australia".
NOTE: Please NO kangaroos, NO maps of Australia, NO more maps of South Australia.
"South Australia is home to long summers, stunning beaches and award-winning wine, events and festivals. It’s the gateway to the unique National Landscapes of the Flinders Ranges." - SA Tourism.
If you're unfamiliar with South Australia please do some research!
* The South Australian tourism website is a great place to start http://www.southaustralia.com/about.
* The Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Australia.
* Journalist Charlie Brooker has a great article on his visit to the state at http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/20
* The floral emblem of South Australia is the Sturt's Desert Pea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swainsona_Formosa
* Here is a list of 10 common South Australian animals http://blogs.abc.net.au/sa/2008/08/…nativ.html I would LOVE to see some interesting designs that incorporate Blue Tongue Lizards and Geckos! Possums and Monarch Butterflys are also good ideas too. AVOID the poison ones - spiders, snakes and millipedes aren't too tourist friendly.
* Stylistically, the concept of stained glass windows is something that could look really good. This is relevant because Adelaide, the SA capital city, is known for it's churches. Please, NO churches or anything related to any religion though.
Feel free to get as creative as you wish to within the guidelines, keeping in mind that the logo is intended to be used to represent the state at both national and international levels!
Designers who enter are encouraged to explain the thought process behind their designs and why they think their logo would be great for South Australia :)
Unless you can find an extremely interesting or innovative way to implement them, please avoid Australian cliches such as kangaroos or image of Australia. They don't say anything specific about South Australia.