Singapore may have a reputation for its conservatism, but what goes on behind closed doors -- or in the red light district -- may surprise you. We’ve scoured headlines and research from around the world to learn more about what’s happening between the sheets. Read on to learn 12 revealing facts about the sex lives of Singaporeans.
1. Are Singaporeans having all the sex? Not so much. In fact, Singapore earned a spot in the international “top” 10 when it comes to not having sex thanks to a weekly sexual activity rate of 62 percent. Greece topped the list at a whopping 87 percent giving all new meaning to the expression, “It’s all Greek to me.”
2. Singaporeans may not be having as much sex as their international peers, but they’re starting younger. Recently, teachers, school counsellors and social workers report increasing incidences of “dating” and sexual activity among teenage girls.
3. A whopping 80 percent of young Singaporeans have had unprotected sex with new partners, according to a survey by Bayer Healthcare. Singapore's 20 to 35 set are also among the world’s least knowledgeable when it comes to contraception. Where are they getting their (mis)information? The internet, friends, and religious leaders.
4. Having lots of sex is one thing, but good sex deserves a category of its own. Just how satisfied are Singaporeans with their love lives? Unfortunately, the news is not much better on this front: Singapore earned a dismal second-to-last ranking thanks to a national average of just 58 percent sexual satisfaction. Just be glad you don’t live in last place Japan, which scored a dismal 34 percent.
5. The average prostitute in Singapore’s red light district of Geylang is 26 years old, services four clients daily, and earns $70 a pop or $3,200 a month, after rent and other expenses are deducted. One noteworthy tidbit from the world of freelance sex for pay? Streetwalkers in Singapore set rates depending on the perceived ability to pay of each client. The wealthier you look, the more you can expect to fork over.
6. Singaporeans enjoy significant gender equality -- at least when it comes to the orgasm gap. With an international average difference of 28 points between between male (61 percent) and female (33 percent) orgasm rates, Singapore joined China, Mexico and frontrunner Nigeria in reporting rare orgasm equality.
7. Pornographic material may be illegal in Singapore, but research shows that coming between people and their porn is easier said than done. According to one report, a full half of the population has either watched or read porn -- mainly via their mobile phones, and many before the impressionable age of seven.
8. Singapore claims the 8th place spot on the list of 20 countries with the world’s lowest fertility rates. Factors including age, work life balance, housing and a higher standard of living all contribute to Singapore’s dropping birth rate. Just how low is it? A mere .8 per woman.
9. It’s not exactly a surprise, then, that more couples are turning to in-vitro fertilisation and other fertility treatments to get pregnant. According to one report, the number of couples seeking medical intervention to conceive leaped from 1,716 to 3,271 during a two-year period. Luckily, those who need help can find it: several government programs offer conception support.
10. Research shows that orgasms have the ability to do everything from improve sleep to alleviate depression, but most Singaporeans aren’t buying: a mere 40 percent of the population believes that good sex leads to a better mood. Comparatively, Europeans, Americans and Australians resoundingly agree that sex is a natural pick-me-up
11. Men in Singapore earned the dubious distinction of being Asia’s most promiscuous players with an average of 16 lifetime partners each, according to Durex. In the same survey, Singapore’s women claimed the 5th place spot, reporting a 59 percent infidelity rate. Girls just wanna have fun, indeed!
12. While just 22 percent of Singapore couples talk to each other about ways to spice up their sex lives, this doesn’t mean they’re not giving it their all in bed: 24 percent of Singaporeans experiment with sex toys, 20 percent use lubricants, and 11 percent partake in the occasional naughty nurse scenario in the form of role playing. (And despite the lack of conversation, Singaporeans still feel connected: an impressive 77 percent of people between the ages of 35 and 49 feel closer through sex.)
While some of these facts may be in line with your expectations, others reveal a sexy new side of Singaporeans. If you’re looking to spice up your love life, maximize sexual fulfillment, and boost your own numbers, Luvmax can help you enjoy racy new results.