I want the site to be primarily text-driven, as that's how I'll be documenting most of my work. My thinking at this point in time is a vertical two-column setup - one larger column for text, and one column next to that featuring breakout boxes for video, additional interviews, guest blogs, and images.
Ideally, when someone lands on the site, they'd see:
- the latest post, in all its glory
- a breakout box link to the latest guest blog (text)
- a breakout box link to the latest interview (text)
- a featured image of the book of the month, which will click through to a review
- a breakout box link (or embedded) video for video content
The attached jpg is a starting place only!
As well as your standard WP blogroll, page navigation, categories, etc.
Some examples of the functionality I'm looking for:
The Studiopress Magazine Theme:
The Nervous Breakdown:
The Happiness Project:
Studiopress and The Nervous Breakdown are way heavier in terms of functionality than I need them to be; but providing a lot of text content in an easy-to-access way is going to be key.
My feeling is that lighter colours are better, but if something leaps out as a really great combination, go with it. My preference for layout is vertical, horizontal navigation bar across the top.