We need an icon for our iPad app - a super simple and elegant tool that lets you create and share video lessons on any topic.
The app has been in beta, and has been used by a small group of beta testers, who have created some amazing lessons (you can see these on ShowMeApp.com).
We're planning to launch in the App Store later this month, and we need an icon that communicates both the functionality and the spirit of ShowMe.
- easily create video lessons through a simple whiteboard interface
- record your voice and your drawings simultaneously
- share your lessons with the world on ShowMeApp.com
- Open, Transparent, Democratic
- Simple, Elegant
- Fun, Interactive
We have a logo on ShowMeApp.com, but by no means should you feel beholden to it. Either incorporate it into the icon or do something completely different - it's totally your call.
Tips: iOS icons we like are simple, understated, and subtly reflect both the spirit and functionality of the app. Examples include:
- Dropbox - the open, transparent box concept highlights the accessibility of Dropbox, and the light blue is a very user-friendly and inviting color
- Twitter - understated, yet with subtle detail in the background grain effect that makes it stand out
- Skype - very simple and elegant contraction of their full logo
- Reeder - the grey color highlights the "seriousness" of the app as a Google Reader substitute, and is careful not to appeal to one particular demographic, but for all users
We don't want:
- anything too juvenile - even though the app has educational use, we don't want it to feel too "kindergarten-y"
- an overly complicated icon
...unless you really feel strongly about it :)