WireTap is an iPhone application that allows anyone to record phone calls right on their iPhone. It includes a dialer, the ability to see history and instantly play recorded calls, and to e-mail recorded calls to a desktop or laptop computer for further review. Screenshots attached.
You're designing the icon that will appear on the home screen of the device (57x57 or 114x114) as well as the icon in the iTunes Store (512x512). Deliverables are vector artwork.
WireTap is aimed at anyone with occasional call-recording needs. We're not directly targeting law enforcement, PIs, etc., as they typically already have recording equipment, but some of our customers may want the product to "feel" like what they imagine high-dollar recording equipment to be.
Use cases include:
* Small law firms
* Independent contractors or freelancers
* Mom trying to resolve a credit card / warranty / cable bill dispute
* Landlords / tenants
There is some competition in this space, but most of the other apps on the store are unreliable, hard to use, have a poor UI, etc. We hope to stand out with a high-quality reliable product that works every time, is easy to use and set up, and has a great UI. As part of this strategy, the icon needs to look like it belongs on a polished, high-quality application. To quote Steve Jobs, "Our customers don't want amateur hour."
* MUST COMPLY WITH APPLE REQUIREMENTS! See attached. Apple does some significant post-processing on the icon, so MAKE SURE to COMPLETELY READ the attached document. Rendering the sheen and rounded corners yourself is completely fine for a mockup, but include at least one rendering without it so we know you've read and can comply with Apple's requirements.
* Must be consistent with the look and feel of the current app (extensive screenshots attached).
* Must look professional, sleek, and modern. To stand out, we need to be a high-quality app, and that starts with a polished, great icon.
* Must look great small (57x57). Seeing a little more detail in the 512x512 version is great, but the icon will almost always be displayed small, so that's the size it should be designed for.
* Must supply vector artwork (RGB).
We really don't have anything in the way of creative direction ('cause we're programmers, and programmers suck at design). But take a look at our screenshots, spend a little time browsing the app store, and see if you can find something that will help us stand out.