I have an app called Camera Fun (published under my company SpiceLoop brand) that is currently available on iPhone (and Android) and I would like to redo the icon for this iPhone app.
You can download my Camera Fun app on the iPhone at http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/…=358836316
Here are my requirements.
* The designer needs to have an iPhone so that he/she is familiar with iPhone design concepts. Download and use the app before working on the design - this gives you an idea of the app's concept.
* IMPORTANT: See the icon/image that is attached to this project brief - a designer did this for me. This concept is very unique & clever – it uses camera elements to create a smile. With that it conveys the central theme of the app - “having fun with this camera app”. While I like this icon’s concept, I think there is a lot of room for improvement to make it look better. I want to the designer to use this idea and create a better version of this. When designing the smiley within the icon, you could use camera elements such as glass lens, shutter button, aperture blades (colored or BW), settings dial, flash, film roll (can that be used for smile?), etc.
* The frame/border of the icon is VERY VERY important – it sets the icon apart from others. It needs to be stunningly beautiful with nuances and details. This frame/border can be 2D or 3D. The designer can produce icons with both 2D and 3D borders and see which one I like.
* Use the colors, contrasts and textures in such a way that the icon really pops and stands out.
* The end result icon needs to be stunningly beautiful and needs to stand out (in a good way) among other app icons.
* I need icons in sizes 57x57, 72x72, 114x114 and 512x512
Here are examples of some icons I like:
Alarm Clock Pro
Here I like the detailed frame design, the glowing dot on the bottom and the slightly glowing 4 dots on the top, the raised glass look inside the frame, the nuanced digital display of time/day and the subtle glow. The glowing green digital display against the black background contrast is stunning. Also, the icon goes with the theme of the app.
Weather lock screen pro
Here I like this 3d iPhone4 metal frame look
Here is like the raised/3d metallic look of the Dj equipment - goes with the theme of the app.
For my liking, what's common among these apps is:
* The concept of the app is cleverly woven into the icon
* They have the metallic frame/border that I like. The 3D border/frame makes the icon popout even more.
* There is a lot of detail and nuances in the icon - especially the frame/border. These details make a huge difference on the high resolution Retina display of iPhone4. These details are what makes the icon pop out among other app icons.
Good luck with designing!!