AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers)
My name is John Vasko and I'm the Associate Director of Community and Content for AIChE. AIChE – American Institute of Chemical Engineers – is the world’s leading organization for chemical engineering professionals, with nearly 43,000 members from 92 countries. The main focus of the association is to be the central reference and resource point for chemical engineers in multiple fields.
My main focus is the following portal or (sub brand) of AIChE:
ChEnected—Where Chemical Engineers Mix it Up—is a unique online community created for and by young professional chemical engineers. It is the home of AIChE's Reactor Blog.
Our target audience consists of engineering professionals working in chemicals, process engineering, environmental studies, sustainability research, alternative energy, nanotechnology, water, and multiple other disciplines in the sphere of chemical engineering.
Our blog readers are mostly (but not limited to) young professionals in the field. The blog is only 8 months old but it has been relatively successful with approximately 2 comments for every post.
AIChE has two big conferences per year, attracting up to 5,000 members per conference. The AIChE Spring Meeting and the AIChE Annual meeting, which takes place every year in November. For the first time, we'll be live blogging at the meeting and want to attract new readers and new contributors to our blog during this important event for the organization and industry. We'll be posting much more than usual and want to distinguish these posts from everyday blog posts by having an ON LOCATION icon.
Some readers will attend the meeting but many will not and we want to keep them informed and interested in potentially attending meetings in the future.
We are looking for an icon to alert readers that particular blog entries are ON LOCATION.
1. The icon should include a type treatment of the words ON LOCATION. It can also be a combination of type treatment and graphic/icon/illustration (no cheesey or cheap-looking clip art)
2. Type can be a Color or white knocked out of a color
3. The icon MAY include the attached AIChE logo but this is NOT REQUIRED as the specific conference could be mentioned in the copy itself.
4. The icon should be complementary to the color palette used on the blog but also something that stands out, i.e. we can introduce a new color to the palette but one that would go with it: http://chenected.aiche.org/ (Do not use the main green that it on the site) Here's a resource for looking at palettes: http://kuler.adobe.com
5. The icon will be the first graphic used in any blog post that is ON LOCATION.
6. It will always be placed in the top left of the post with the text of the post wrapping around it. (see attached .png file)
7. The icon should SCALE to a MAXIMUM width of 150 pixels and a MAXIMUM height of 60 pixels. However, the icon CAN BE SMALLER. (see attached .png file)
8. A larger file than the max can be submitted as long as it scales correctly. Should be hi res .jpeg for web use.
9. The icon should be simple but eyecatching.
10. This should not look like a button