I am looking for a cover design for the ebook and paperback, which I aim to launch in October and November respectively.
This book is the first in my trilogy about the Young Isambard Kingdom Brunel and the adventure he and his friends have when they stumble across a conspiracy. The target market is “Young Adult” readers (8-15 year old boys and girls), but hopefully will be smart enough to appeal to "older adults” (parents) too.
The story is set in London in 1820 and features the young Isambard Kingdom Brunel and the adventures he and his friends (siblings Millie and William) have when they stumble across a plot to assassinate the Prime Minister. They are helped on their adventure with crumpets and magic from the Candlewick Sisters, but things get complicated when they find out that the gang-leader was supposedly executed 25 years earlier during the French Revolution.
Values / key messages
• Early industrial revolution: Setting = London in 1820
• Isambard and his friends are 14 years old
• Threat: French revolutionary leader Robespierre has "come back from the dead". The silhouette of his distinctive tricorn hat is mentioned several times. Has he found all three of the ancient Egyptian amulets?
• Contraptions: Isambard and his father are engineers and great inventors of contraptions. You may use mechanical imagery but don't make it too technical as this may put people off
• Magic: heroes befriend the Candlewicks sisters who run a "clean, white magic shop". Esmerelda is short/fat dresses in white. Madagascar is tall/thin dresses in black
• Mentor: Kids help officer Ruthven solve the mystery. Ruthven is bearded, rough, burly, heart of gold
• Intrigue: Isambard is joined by Agent Catskill of His Majesty's secret service
• Action: Isambard and friends navigate London over the rooftops; Isambard falls off a third floor roof; gets lost in a hot air balloon; helps Catskill (secret agent) and Ruthven steal from a Parisian Aristocrat's house party; uses a phantom lion to hold up Lord Wellington's carriage.
See Pinterest Board at http://pin.it/4OSqmwq
Yes - Bold shapes and lettering to ensure "thumbnail" recognition
Yes - details on closer inspection
Yes - magic and wonder
Yes - mechanical/urban settings
Yes - top hat (Brunel famously wore a top hat and this book features him getting his first hat which he wears through the later books in the series) - Isambard (14 yr old boy, poor) does not have to wear the battered top hat. It could just be a detail (or used as a "logo"....)
Yes - rooftops (see Pinterest board)
Perhaps - blues and oranges?
No - cartoon styles
No - technical / engineering drawing
No - full/half page portraits of "characters"/actors
No - Big Ben (it was built in 1859, the book is set in 1820)
Author = Robert Guidi
Working Title = Isambard and the Cato Street Conspiracy
ISBN/Barcode = tbc
Back cover blurb = tbc (approx 100 words)