The Empty Medicine Cabinet: The Pharmacist’s Guide to the Hidden Dangers of Drugs and the Healing Powers of Food, is a non-fiction book about preventing and reversing chronic diseases using lifestyle medicine with a strong emphasis on plant-based nutrition. A whole foods, plant-based diet is at the core of this message.
I discuss several chronic diseases (heart disease, obesity, type 2 diabetes, cancer, autoimmune diseases, kidney disease, and so forth) in Part One of the book. I detail treatment options using conventional medicine (mostly prescription drugs) versus plant-based nutrition. Benefits of both are talked about along with the side effects and risks of prescription drugs.
Part Two of the book is how to implement a lifestyle of whole foods, plant-based nutrition. I also have chapters on supplements and exercise. Part Three is filled with healthy plant-based recipes.
For the cover art:
I’m open to you being creative. I’m looking for a cover to stand out and yet maintain a professional looking appearance. My targeted reading audience is three-fold: individuals who are looking to either prevent or treat chronic medical conditions using nutrition and lifestyle changes; healthcare/medical professionals looking to expand their knowledge on lifestyle and nutritional medicine; the vegetarian/vegan crowd.
Must have items for the front cover:
1) Endorsement (Please put this at the top. Use font Adobe Garamond Pro for all text. Use all caps with name/credentials of person making the quote.)
“This wonderful book shows you that the most powerful medicines are on your plate. And all the “side effects” are good ones: Easy weight loss, lower cholesterol, and a longer life.”
⎯Neal Barnard, MD, President of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine and author of Power Foods for the Brain
2) Title (please use font type Helvetica Neue condensed bold) – The Empty Medicine Cabinet
3) Subtitle – The Pharmacist’s Guide to the Hidden Danger of Drugs and the Healing Powers of Food
4) Author (please put this towards bottom beneath title and subtitle)– Dustin Rudolph, PharmD
5) If you want to add in a circle or bubble or something similar with the words “Includes 50 Delicious, Plant-Based Recipes”. I’m not 100% sure I will want this until I see how it looks on the cover.
Must have items for the back cover:
1) Two endorsements (Please put these at the top. Use font Adobe Garamond Pro for all text. Use all caps with name/credentials of person making the quote.)
“Dustin Rudolph provides an empowering exploration of pharm versus food from the unique perspective of a Doctor of Pharmacy, and an expert in nutrition and lifestyle medicine. Informative, inspiring, and insightful, The Empty Medicine Cabinet is a must-read.”
⎯ Brenda Davis, RD, Author of Becoming Vegan
“Learn how to take charge of your own health—from an industry insider who has learned that our outrageously ineffective healthcare system is really a ‘disease management’ system. A man of great integrity, this enlightened Doctor of Pharmacy teaches his patients how to eliminate their pills.”
⎯ J. Morris Hicks, Author of Healthy Eating, Healthy World
2) Book Description (Use font Adobe Garamond Pro for all text.):
“While pharmaceutical companies rake in billions, the health of a nation continues to decline rapidly, leaving patients and physicians searching for answers in all the wrong places. The Empty Medicine Cabinet wastes no time in explaining why this is so.
Like most healthcare professionals, Dustin Rudolph, PharmD, entered the field of medicine with one goal in mind—to help his patients get healthy. As a pharmacist, he believed the best way to accomplish this was through pills, procedures, and surgeries. Boy, was he wrong! His story, life experiences, and professional expertise serve as the foundation for this book.
Get the facts on why modern medicine often covers up the symptoms of poor health, instead of treating the cause of disease. Learn how making simple diet and lifestyle changes can prevent and even reverse chronic illnesses, putting you back in control of your own destiny, achieving the life of optimal health you’ve always been looking for.”
3) Headline (Highlight or increase font size in some fashion so this stands out.) with bulleted points (bullets can be one or two separate side-by-side columns):
“Learn The Secrets To Optimal Health
• Enhance Energy Levels
• Experience Long-Term Weight Loss
• Eliminate or Reduce Medications
• Reverse Heart Disease and Type 2 Diabetes
• Maintain Strong, Healthy Bones
• Lower Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
• Reduce Cancer Risk
• Improve Brain Health
• Avoid Kidney Disease
• Wipe Out Arthritis”
4) Insert “Visit http://www.theemptymedicinecabinet.com located below items 1-3 somewhere towards the bottom.
5) Barcode (files attached) on the lower right hand corner of back cover. I have two barcodes (for two paperback versions) – one for Createspace and one for Lightning Source.
Must have items for the spine:
1) Title – The Empty Medicine Cabinet (Helvetica Neue condensed bold)
2) Author – Dustin Rudolph, PharmD (same style/font as front cover)