1776 Press is seeking a creative cover designer for its newest release, "Guess It." The target audience is children, ages 8-12. We would like to harness the creativity of all the talented designers who wish to work on this so the criteria will be somewhat open. We are seeking a design for the cover, spine, and back-cover. While the prize money should certainly be a dangling carrot to win this contest, the opportunity to have your design/artwork on a book that will be widely marketed, especially in schools, should be an inspiration as well.
1) The size of the book is 5.06 in. by 7.81 in.
2) The title of the book, "Guess It" should appear on the cover. (No quotes around it.) The authors should be at the bottom center of the cover - "The Lynchsters" and just below that (in smaller print) "with Brendan D. Lynch."
3) The cover – be creative. This book is a Who Am I? (Famous people, like Einstein) What Am I Doing? (An action, like folding laundry) When Am I? (An event or time period, like the Boston Tea Party, the last day of school, or prehistoric times) Where Am I? (A place, like Paris or an ice cream shop) that has readers guessing an answer to a riddle-like paragraph. Each page has four paragraphs and each paragraph has an answer on the next page. Here’s an example of one paragraph:
“You can use me if you want to relax, read, or sleep. I come in hundreds of different styles. I can be fancy, or plain and normal. I am well used almost every day. Some types of me aren’t very comfy to people but, there are many of me that are very comfy. I am usually put near the TV. What am I?”
The book contains over 500 of these with each involving a guess. I respect the creative nature of your job as a designer so I don’t want to limit your creativity; however, here are a few suggestions that could be attempted: somehow using a question mark in the artwork; kids thinking; or have some objects, famous people, and historical events on the cover. If you use pictures of people, cartoonish is preferred with a child(ren) who looks at least 10 years old. Do not use real photographs of people, although if you choose not to use people a non cartoon picture is ok. Please use your own creative judgement though. If you find something that looks good and could work, give it a shot. The last time I ran a book cover design contest, the winning cover was one I never thought of on my own. It just worked.
4) The spine should include the complete title and authors - “Guess It” and “The Lynchsters with Brendan D. Lynch.” (No quotes) The author names should be centered at the bottom of the cover with “The Lynchsters” a bit larger and more prominent that “with Brendan D. Lynch. All could be in caps or all lowercase, depending on your style of cover. That is an easy adjustment later. Please include a blended background that transitions from the front to the spine to the back. In other words, the color should not abruptly stop at the spine on either side. Also, please include some art on the spine, whether it is part of the background image that wraps around the entire front, spine, and back, or a small element of something on the cover. Otherwise, the spine of 262 page book will be too boring with only the title and authors.
5) The back cover should include a description of the book (see below) and the bar code with ISBN, which is already on the template. However, I included another PDF file of the barcode in case you want to move it. It should say "Cover design by YOUR NAME" in very small print below the bar code. (Feel free to leave this part out of you would prefer not to have your name or business listed.) It should also have "1776 Press" written somewhere on the back cover (small print) with a small American Flag above that. The flag graphic is attached, but feel free to alter it in any way to get it to blend. Other than that – be creative, and include more artwork.
FOR BACK COVER:
Are you a smarty pants? Do you like riddles? Do you like to solve mysteries? If so, then stop reading this back cover because the inside is much more interesting! Filled with almost 500 mini-riddle stories, your brain will be pleased with your decision and give you a giant hug.
I attached a copy of design instructions from LSI (the printing company) in case you need more details as well as the PDF template. If the cover is kicked back to me from the printer for technical errors due to the cover, the winning designer must be willing to fix that for me to ensure this can be printed. This book is being fast-tracked and will be going to print in August after a cover has been created. Thank you all in advance and please don’t hesitate to ask questions. I will be following the designs closely and frequently over the week, and will provide daily feedback.