We believe in helping people create and grow through design. Interested in helping us spread that message? 99designs allows guest writers to contribute to our blog. Here are a couple things you need to know:
How do I submit?
We have a pitch form. Pitches are considered approximately once/month (around the end of the month). If you don’t hear anything from us, it probably means the pitch was just not the right fit. We are very selective about what we publish.
If we’re interested in the pitch, we’ll email you and add it to our queue. We often have a backlog of several months between accepting and publishing a pitch. When we’re ready for you to start writing, we’ll assign an editor reach out with details. Please don’t pitch anything that’s already written unless you’re willing to change it!
What should I write about?
The goal of our blog is to publish the best, most inspirational content about design, branding and creativity on the internet. It’s aimed at: self-starters (entrepreneurs, freelancers, self-publishing authors, etc), designers (both new and experienced) and people who work at agencies.
We love articles on that give tips, offer practical advice, espouse opinions, teach, explain and inspire. We publish articles in the following categories:
- Design basics
- Design tutorials
- Design resources
- Logo & branding
- Web & digital design
- Packaging and label design
- Marketing & advertising
- Book design
- Art & illustration
- Other types of design
- Design inspiration
- Design history & movements
- Famous design & designers
- Creative thinking
- Business resources*
*Entrepreneurship and business-centric articles should all relate to design in some way.
If that doesn’t get your brain percolating, we also maintain an article idea list. You are welcome to refer to it, or even submit pitches for the ideas on the list. Note that if there is a name next to the idea, a regular contributor is already working on a pitch for that topic.
What are regular contributors and how can I become one?
When you find something good, you should hold onto it! When we find good writers, we want to keep working with them. Our regular contributors are authors who have written for us multiple times. They have the ability to claim pitches on our idea list. They make a little more money for each article they publish and also have the opportunity to write for us on assignment.
There are no hard-and-fast rules to becoming a contributor, but generally we are looking for people who pitch articles regularly, who turn around assignments promptly, who promote their work on social media, and are (most importantly) strong writers. Generally we’ll ask people to become regular contributors after 3-4 successfully published articles.
What makes a good article?
A good article:
- Is on a topic you can speak about with authority.
- Provides useful, tangible advice.
- Is well structured so readers can easily glean information.
- Is geared towards our target audience.
- Does not have a lot of grammatical or spelling errors.
- Is accompanied by appropriate, well-designed/sourced visuals (one approximately every 250 words)
- Has a strong, fun voice.
- Is one you would be proud to share on your own social media channels once it’s complete.
Here are some examples of great articles on our blog:
- Branding colors: everything you need to choose your brand’s perfect pigments
- The 6 elements of design
- Using Pinterest to get your logo right
- How to name your business with a little help from Design Thinking
- How to design book covers for any genre
- Cannabis branding: 42 chronic weed logos and marijuana packaging ideas
- Four lessons Game of Thrones can teach us about branding
- 8 tips for designing an amazing photography website
Once my pitch is accepted, what are the expectations?
- Deliver a draft of your article in a timely manner (usually about a week after we send you a brief; note it can sometimes be a while before we get new writers slated on the calendar).
- Perform any edits or rewrites requested by our editors.
- Source imagery to illustrate the article (we’ll give you some guidelines).
- Help distribute the article once it’s published! (By sharing on social media, e.g.)
Do you pay authors?
We do! Individual contributors to our blog are paid for each article that is published.
We do not pay companies to contribute to our blog. See below for more information.
Do you allow companies to guest blog or do content swaps?
Yes! If you’re a company looking to do a guest blog on our site, please go ahead and submit a pitch on our form. Please note that if accepted we will work with you just like we would any of our other writers, which may mean you’re asked to do rewrites. We also retain editorial control, so may make changes to the final article (this includes editing outbound links, though we guarantee at least one to your website).
If you want to swap content with us, indicate your website in the “anything else we should know” section.
Note that we do not publish any infographics that were not designed on 99designs.
Do you syndicate content?
At this time we are not syndicating content on our site.