8am - 5pm PST Mon-Fri
Hello - I submitted design #2346. A few comments on the comments:
1. It is absurd to suggest that first time contestants somehow have a personal connection to Rick Warren.
2. It is reasonable to assume the CH is a publishing professional and that he/she/they know what a stock image is, what a cheap one looks like, what rights management is, what rights managed content costs, and so forth. It insults the intelligence of the CH for those complaining about stock usage to assume the CH doesn't know their business. They have their reasons for selecting the submissions they have.
3. Some of the general comments on stock usage are profoundly ignorant: Getty has built a business worth hundreds of millions of dollars per annum on the use of stock images, and yes, they get used on book covers!
4. Further to that and using iStockphoto as an example, extended licenses where images can be used on items for resale are common: http://www.istockphoto.com/extended…isions.php
5. As to whether a design is worthy of 4 or 5 stars, that is entirely subjective. I wonder how many designers thought about the audience buying the book; how many put design ahead of communication rather than the other way around as it should be; how many walked into their local bookstore and checked out the spirituality section, or the Christian section, or what is currently on the best seller list before even putting their mind to their design?
6. How we conduct ourselves in this forum reflects on us as professionals. Read below....
7. My name is Robert Collings and I co-own Australia-based publisher Red Hill Publishing. I am not a designer per se, although I can use the tools, and my reasons for entering the contest are personal. We outsource our cover and type design to freelancers -- we also don't ask our designers to work on spec…don't get me started!!! There are some designers who have commented on this contest who I would do business with, and some others I would not: think about it.
And finally, if you are a pro, freelance *BOOK* designer who also loves typography and have a portfolio of *book covers and internals* you'd like share send me a DM.
All the best and good luck for this and future contests,
What do you want designed?