Michael Jordan is making headlines again.
Image via NBA.com
Earlier this year, the Charlotte Bobcats (owned by His Airness), applied to rebrand as the “Hornets,” a name that left the city back in 2002. It was a success! On December 21, deemed “Buzz City Night” in North Carolina’s largest city, the Bobcats will be unveiling their new Hornets brand identity. After nine years at the bottom of their division, touting an overall 253-478 W/L record (34% win rate), and going through six different head coaches, it’s time for the team to turn things around. The Buzz is back!
But wait. This isn’t a sports blog, so why is 99designs telling you all this? Because it’s nearly a year to the day that we launched our successful New Orleans Pelicans rebranding community contest, celebrating that team’s move away from the Hornets moniker. Remember the ferocious bird TinBacicDesign™ designed?
With the Hornets now returning to Charlotte, we’re excited to go full circle by having our talented designer community take on the challenge of giving the new Hornets a fresh brand identity. 99designs designers, let’s provide the Hornets with a logo that brings back the buzz!
Before you start designing, let’s go through a brief (but complex) history of Charlotte basketball:
- 1988: The Charlotte Hornets franchise begins, based in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- 1995: The team sends the draft rights of Kobe Bryant to the Los Angeles Lakers. Ouch.
- 2002: The team relocates to New Orleans, leaving Charlotte without a basketball team. The name Hornets left with the team.
- 2004: Charlotte was granted an expansion team, the Charlotte Bobcats.
- 2010: The former NBA player Michael Jordan acquires the Bobcats
- 2013: The New Orleans Hornets change their names to the New Orleans Pelicans.
- 2013: The Hornets name returns to its original city to be used by the Charlotte Bobcats, starting in the 2014-15 season.
The Charlotte Hornets intend to utilize their much-loved purple-and-teal color scheme, introduced back in 1988. Their secondary colors will be black, cool gray, and light blue.
Find out more info on “Back The Buzz” here, and take your best shot at this redesign.
Presenting the winner and top designs from the New Orleans Pelicans logo contest!
Presenting the winner and runners-up from our Miami Dolphins logo contest
Presenting the winner and other top designs from our Washington Redskins rebranding contest!
Community Contest: t-shirt for the Brazilian World Cup Team fans