Tomi Vinsek – Zagreb, Croatia
99designs handle: Lugosi
Projects won: 45
How did you get started in design?
In my childhood I participated in creative and technical workshops as member of National Society of Technical Culture in the field of Product Prototype and Modeling – this was the start of my creative work and production. Even as young boy, I loved to sketch imaginative things. I was a big fan of Flash Gordon :D, and I was always curious in how others see things in imaginative and creative ways. I believe imagination is extremely valuable in creative process.
Back in the ’80s when I was about 10, I got into computer graphics – first in a BASIC language environment on ZX Spectrum 48K computer, and later on Atari. About 10 years ago I started collaborating at a local magazine – this was my first experience with prepress process and magazine drafting. I was so inspired – I loved using Indesign, Photoshop and CorelDraw. I started working on logos, magazine ad’s, brochures, wallpapers and CD covers, etc. for friends, online contests and local small businesses – this was the start of my freelance graphic design business. As my skill improved and my love for design grew higher each day- I decided to enroll into an Adobe Certification program at the local academy.
How do you get your design inspiration?
Inspiration is everywhere – comedy, drama, nature, people, animals, books, movies… everywhere. I mostly design at night. I love quiet atmosphere, coffee, low light…That’s how I got my nickname, Bela Lugosi was a famous Dracula actor in ‘30s.
What led you to start using 99designs.com?
I joined this community back when the contests were still in the Sitepoint forums and I must admit -the 99designs team has made great progress the last few years. Well done guys! At first I just wanted to improve my design skills and compete but I have also met new people from design world. 99designs has helped me a lot – I’ll never forget my first win here, wow, that was celebration!
Over time, this community became more and more valuable, and with respect I can say that 99designs gave me the opportunity to define my future. I mean it, really!
Two years ago I met Vjeko on 99designs.com – we found out that we live in the same town. We became online business partners and built our first web business and online portfolio. Today we own an award winning graphic design company here in Croatia – we are employed full time as Art Directors and Graphic Designers – we have built our own business with help of 99designs.com!
What are three things designers can do to have success at 99designs?
1. Design with love – the best designs are the ones that you yourself can be proud of! It is definitely not good to enter too many contests at once. Enter one or two – make the best design you can and wait for feedback. After 6 days, if you have the opportunity – make it awesome. Put 100% effort into a design project and the client will notice. Contest holders do care! Don’t think about money, think about the design, your portfolio, your own and the client’s satisfaction. The prize will come for sure!
2. Define your style – it is precious and will separate you from others. Think about the thousands of products out there and what it would be like if they were all are the same? People love to choose! Just lead them. Every product has its own buyer – it’s the same with design. Your design is your personality – combine that with the client’s feedback equals success.
3. Presentation of final work is very important! It’s good to show how the design will work in different applications and surfaces or in different versions. Sometimes presentation takes almost the same amount of time as designing the main concept – but it’s worth it. Not all people are imaginative and they love to see how the design will work for them.
What do you love most about being a designer?
Freedom of creativity, expressing my personality – I love when my work is seen by many people all over the world. Design is timeless and recognizable. I love to see how other perceive different shapes and colors. Design does not live in the designers head, design lives in the viewers eyes – show it to the people.
See more Designer Profiles
Latest posts by Jason Aiken (see all)
- 99designs 1-to-1 Projects Sweepstakes - July 10, 2013
- Introducing Gold Contests and Gold Designers - August 9, 2012
- 99designs acquires 12designer, launches European headquarters in Berlin - August 7, 2012