99designs has supported not-for-profit organizations around the world since our launch in 2008, and in July 2012 we announced a new, formal initiative: 99nonprofits. We initially set out to give free design contests to 99 organizations, but in the summer of 2013 we surpassed that number – and nearly two years later, we still have no plans to stop!
Organizations selected to participate in 99nonprofits receive free graphic design services such as logo design, web page design, t-shirt design and print design through contests launched to our global community of more than 290,000 graphic designers. Winning designers receive full prize awards, and the organizations and their winning designs may be featured on our website.
Organizations must be registered as not-for-profit per the appropriate local governmental authorities and will be asked to provide proof of this status. 99designs supports organizations making a positive impact in their local communities and internationally. To see some of the design work 99nonprofits participants have received, you can check out this blog post.
How do I apply?
To be considered for a full fee waiver, please complete this short application form. You can expect to hear back from us within one month, and if you are accepted into the 99nonprofits program we will provide additional details along with dedicated customer support.
What is the deadline?
There is no deadline to apply. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and we choose new participants at the beginning of each month. If you have an upcoming event for which you have specific design needs, you can indicate this on the application form and we will take your own deadline into consideration.
What are my chances of being chosen?
We typically select about eight organizations each month to take part in 99nonprofits; unfortunately this means we are unable to assist everyone that applies. To date we’ve accepted more than 160 nonprofits into the program, drawing from an application pool of more than 500 organizations in 35 countries. As a truly global company – our graphic designers and customers live in more than 190 countries – we aim to support a wide diversity of organizations in terms of both geography and purpose.
How does the contest process work?
Watch the informational video on our homepage and see our FAQ page to learn more about the 99designs model. Still have questions? Please call the telephone number listed on our homepage or shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Will the winning designer be paid?
Yes. Winning designers will receive full prize awards paid for by 99designs.
What kind of organizations have participated to date?
We’ve run contests for every imaginable type of nonprofit, from small local organizations just launching to large established international organizations. You can see the great designs some of our most recent participants have received here, and enter “99nonprofits” in the search bar at the top of our Customer Blog to read additional posts featuring participants.
Is there anything else I should know upfront?
Participating organizations may be featured on our website and in social media campaigns.
What causes has 99designs supported?
Some of our community outreach efforts have included:
- Giving one day’s profits to disaster relief after an earthquake rocked New Zealand in 2010;
- Holding a t-shirt design fundraising campaign to provide aid after the earthquake in Haiti in 2010;
- Competing in the PushupCharity challenge in San Francisco to raise thousands of dollars for DonorsChoose.org (which helps classrooms across the U.S.) in 2012, and for SAMA USA (a training program for low-income college students) in 2013.
- Raising money - and matching all donations dollar for dollar - for the American Red Cross’ Typhoon Haiyan relief efforts in the Philippines in 2013;
- Volunteering our time for important projects like helping to restore our local parks (check out our pickaxe pizazz in the photo below, from a recent volunteer day in the San Francisco Presidio).
Latest posts by 99designs (see all)
- Entrepreneurship meets design: Your June tips from 99U - June 26, 2014
- Help 99designs donate to relief efforts in the Balkans - May 22, 2014
- Show us what’s motivating you in the New Year! Introducing #WhyWeDoIt - January 2, 2014