I need a book cover that will work as an ebook cover and a paperback cover.
If you can't tell by the title of the project, I'm borrowing heavily from overblown WW2 and cold war propaganda themes for the branding of the book. I have in mind a cover that borrows heavily from cold war propaganda posters.
I have two ideas that are each slightly different directions. The first is basically the flag of Vietnam with a coffee bean in the middle of the star. I'd also like to see a version with a red star, on a black, white or red background.
The second idea is a modified old soviet propaganda poster. This might be too "busy" to be practical, especially for the small thumbnail size that shows up for Amazon Kindle.
I like these two ideas because:
1) They're not boring. Currently existing books about coffee are either ridiculously boring and too flowery/wishy-washy/romantic in their imagery. I think coffee is awesome and it has a history that is entwined with rebellion and history-making ideas, and the literature on coffee ought to be in line with that.
2) Inherently visually striking art that attracts the eye all on it's own.
3) Appeals to a rebellious nature that is reflected in the theme of my book.
4) Gives potential customers the feeling that they are part of something bigger than just their morning coffee; a movement.
So those are the things I'm looking for. I've also got a few things I'm NOT looking for:
1) Designs that take themselves too seriously.
2) Using imagery that includes figures like Lenin, Stalin, etc. I like the rebellious/call-to-arms feeling of the soviet propaganda posters, but I'm not wanting to promote the ideology itself.
I really love an ad that M&M's did using a similar idea to promote their red M&M's. It's similar in spirit to everything I'm going for:
[couldn't get the links to paste correctly, so I just uploaded some examples that I like. I do not have the rights to any of these]
The book will be published primarily as an ebook, so it will need to be designed to look good for the Amazon kindle store (in thumbnail image size). I will be doing a small run of paperbacks (basically for me and friends/family) too though, so the design should be eye-catching in a variety of sizes, but the focus should be on designing for Kindle.